Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lolita Lifestyle

"What is the "Lolita lifestyle"? Is it real or imagined? Does your idea of such a lifestyle differ from the ideas of others? Do you, or would you like to, adhere to this lifestyle?"

I fully believe there is a "Lolita lifestyle". People may make fun of the idea of a girl who is very polite and loves the ballet and tea and sweets and doing traditionally feminine and refined things and who loves lolita but I’m not sure why that is the case. I think it might be that some lolitas feel like people are saying they are less of a lolita because they do not fit into that subset of lolita.

But lifestyle lolitas are not any more lolita than people who are not lifestylers. They are just a different type of lolita. Lifestylers versus non-Lifestylers is like Classical versus Sweet or Casual versus Gothic. We’re all lolitas and have something awesome in common.

I personally love the lolita lifestyle though I’m not much of a lifestyler. My love of motorcycle and auto racing (and enjoying being part of a pit crew) is distinctly not lolita because of how much time is spent kneeling and sitting on concrete which gets oily and dusty and gets my hands dirty and how sweaty you get wearing all the safety gear when you are a driver. I still always dress nice, often wearing loli blouses when doing pit stuff but I’ll wear jeans too and since I have to wear gloves I wear pretty, thick leather gloves that are feminine but also are safe to work in. If I’m autocrossing then I keep a pretty Bodyline jsk or an overblouse (since I wear a cap sleeve tee under my firesuit) and skirt I can switch into easily between rounds. I also like to make yummy things for the crew, like finger sandwiches and small cookies which are easy to pop into your mouth and travel easily, I embroider my own gear bags and keep a book to read or my embroidery hoop around for those times when I am waiting around doing nothing. I love the dream of the lifestyle, like Momoko, but understand I can’t live it exactly but I can live it in my way. And if people don’t want to live it that is fine, if I like them as a person I’m not going to care that much.

As I was writing this one of the people on the tv went on a rant about how women who are housewives and want to be housewives aren’t feminists and are the enemy of feminists. Feminism is about having the right to choose what you want to be. Lolita is about wearing pretty dresses and enjoying the fashion with other people. If a person really has that much of a problem what a person does while in their lolita then it is their problem and their problem shouldn’t become a problem for others unless other people want it to be. That being said I still think people shouldn’t be walking around being terrible people. I mean if you’re going to run around killing people in lolita or make us look like a bunch of rude, mean and/or incredibly stupid people then can you at least not give our fashion a bad name?

1 comment:

  1. I love this entry of yours, especially the last paragraph, which has such an empowering message.

    ReplyDelete