Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lolita Sewing: Weirdest Materials (and Designs)

"For those of you who sew your own clothing, what’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever made a lolita garment out of? Old bedsheets? Discount fabric with Elvis’ face printed all over it?"

I don’t so much use weird materials as have weird designs. The weirdest materials I have used to date would probably be a tie between:

 
Cheap Pewter Taffeta (weird because taffeta is a train wreck waiting to happen). To make a skirt/bolero set themed off my first car:

 
And...


 
A free t-shirt from Comic Con International, used as part of a skirt. Not the weirdest thing to use it as an applique but I haven’t seen it done in lolita. Also my Tron "User" skirt since I've never seen any other loli use reflective elements (or chicken wire print fabric died so the print is hard to notice) before, lol! Still working on all the stitching on the Green Hornet skirt but I have worn the User skirt out:


As you can see, I'm a bit weird. Eventually I'll make the outfit in my layout but since I won't be going to the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca this year (the same weekend as Comic Con, WHY?!) it is low on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment